Monday, January 22, 2018

Quote from Babylon the Great Has Fallen Book: A Personal Favorite

"Just as Jehovah's Shekinah light illuminated the Most Holy of the ancient tabernacle and temple, so his glory directly lights up the New Jerusalem. Ancient Babylon on the Euphrates River needed oil lamps for lighting at night; but, if there were any night around the heavenly New Jerusalem, the Lamb of God would be its lamp. This explains why 'the city has no need of the sun nor of the moon to shine upon it.' But men on earth will need such lights. The invisible heavenly city will shed a spiritual light upon the inhabiters of the 'new earth.' A complete clarification of the Bible will be given to them, together with all the righteous, enlightening, guiding rules, laws and instructions that will be given to them. So the nations on earth, that is, those not of the 144,000 spiritual Israelites, will walk in the spiritual light coming from the city and will see how to walk in the way that leads to everlasting life without stumbling. All the families and nations of the earth will thus be blessed. — Genesis l2:3; 22:18."

"Babylon the Great Has Fallen", pages 660-1.

7 comments:

Duncan said...

Were you in the truth when this book was being studied?

Philip Fletcher said...

I remember that as I read it here even though I was very young. Something about the Shekinah light was unforgettable.

Duncan said...

I have a copy, but it was from one of my older brothers as I was too young at the time to have my own. I have not looked at it for along time but I remember how it quoted and referenced Hislop quite often.

Edgar Foster said...

My parents started attending the Kingdom Hall when I was 12, back in 1977. I don't remember studying the BG book, but do recall some of the old publications including God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years. I was baptized in 1983 and then read some of the older books like BG. It was in the 80s that I came across this quote.

Philip Fletcher said...

I was able to begin to understand some of the things being talked about, the second time we went thru the publication, I think in 68 or 69, but definitely remember the book study discussion on various subjects, but Shekinah light was one that my father and family talked a lot about. A natural light found within the most holy, not by a candle or opening, a representation that Jehovah was present as it were in the most holy.

JimSpace said...

Thanks Edgar for sharing! I like that bold part too.

Hi Duncan, yes I noticed that too. I don't miss references to Two Babylons.

Edgar Foster said...

You're welcome, Jim. We have so many good quotes in our publications. Even if some viewpoints have been clarified or adjusted, these comments are often encouraging and they remain part of our spiritual heritage.

And I don't miss the Two Babylons commentary either. :)