Friday, July 17, 2020

Books I've Read (Part II)

1. Beasley-Murray, George R. Word Biblical Commentary: John. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1999. Print.

2. Conybeare, F.C. and St. George Stock. Grammar of Septuagint Greek: With Selected Readings, Vocabularies, and Updated Indexes. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1995. Print.

3. Dana, H.E. and Julius R. Mantey. A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament. Toronto: Macmillan, 1955. Print.

4. Earle, Ralph. Word Meanings in the New Testament. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1997. Print.

5. Knight, George W. A Simplified Harmony of the Gospels. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2001. Electronic.

6. Wright, N T. Evil and the Justice of God. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Books, 2013. Electronic.

7. West, M.L. Hesiod: Works & Days. Oxford: 1978. Print.

8. Most, G.W. Hesiod: Theogony, Works and Days, Testimonia. Loeb 57. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA: 2006. Print.

9. Evans, Ernest (editor). Tertullian: Adversus Marcionem. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1972. Print.

10. Evans, Ernest (editor). Tertullian: Against Praxeas. London: SPCK, 1948. Print.

11. Alfs, M. Concepts of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: A Classification and Description of the Trinitarian and Non-Trinitarian Theologies Existent Within Christendom. Minneapolis: Old Theology House, 1984. Print.

12. Anderson, Paul N. The Christology of the Fourth Gospel: Its Unity and Disunity in the Light of John 6. Valley Forge: Trinity Press, 1996. Print.

13. Wilken, Robert. The Myth of Christian Beginnings. London: SCM Press, 1979. Print.

14. Arthur, Richard. An Introduction to Logic - Second Edition: Using Natural Deduction, Real Arguments, a Little History, and Some Humour. Ontario: Broadview Press, 2016. Print and Electronic.

15. Barnard, L.W. Justin Martyr: His Life and His Thought. London: Cambridge University Press, 1967. Print.

16. Bock, D.L. Blasphemy and Exaltation in Judaism: The Charge Against Jesus in Mark 14:53-65. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000. Print.

17. Boman, T. Hebrew Thought Compared With Greek. New York: Norton, 1970. Print.

18. Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Ethics. Eberhard Bethge, ed. New York: Macmillan, 1965. Print.

19. Flemings, Hal. A Philosophical, Scientific and Theological Defense for the Notion That a God Exists. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2004. Print.

20. Mikhail, Bakhtin. The Dialogic Imagination: Four Essays. Ed. Michael Holquist. Trans. Caryl Emerson and Michael Holquist. Austin and London: University of Texas Press, 1981. Print.

21. Mounce, William D. A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1996. Print.

22. Rubenstein, Richard E. When Jesus Became God: The Epic Fight Over Christ's Divinity in the Last Days of Rome. Boston: Mariner Books, 2013. Print.

23. Dorner, Isaak A. Divine Immutability--A Critical Consideration. Minneapolos, MN: Fortress Press, 1994. Print.

24. Robinson, J.A.T. Honest to God. John Knox Press, 1963. Print.

25. Hughes, Gerard. The Nature of God. London: Routledge, 1995. Print.

8 comments:

Roman said...

I haven't read N.T. Wright's Evil and the Justice of God, but knowing what I've read of him ... I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't actually address the real crux of the issue and rather just does a bit of historical exegesis, and narrative criticism and doesn't really address the issue (using word's like strangely, suprisingly, radically).

He's a great New Testament scholar, a great historian ... but when it comes to his attempts at theology, they leave me frusturated. Last book of his I read was "the day the revolution began" and a lot of it was great exegesis and reconstruction ... but when you get to a solid atonement theory that takes into account all the issues, there's just nothing there.


There's a trend where some biblical scholars try to cross over into theology, and they think all they have to do is do biblical scholarship but in a normative form, and it ends up as bad theology (just like analytic philosophers who think they can reduce theology to syllogisms).

After that I decided that, when it comes to N.T. Wright, I'll stick to his early Christian Origins work, which I think is excelent.

Edgar Foster said...

I've thought about writing a book review for Wright's work: right now, the time is there, but I need the energy and motivation. Evil and the Justice of God is a short book, and I found it to be an enjoyable read although I take issue with a number of points he made. Maybe I can produce a review before I return to class in August.

I have not read "the revolution," so I appreciate your thoughts on it. In addition to the shortcomings you mentioned, I find Wright to be verbose at times and he doesn't always connect the dots. On the other hand, read the first part of Paul and the Faithfulness of God: I found that part of the work to be brilliant as he exegetes Philemon. Like you say, Wright's historical work is also interesting.

Roman said...

I would love to read a review of that work by you.

The revolution is not terrible as far as it goes, I think it accurately represents certain atonement themes in Paul (salvation from powers of Sin and Death and so on, recapitulation), but the problem is that it presents itself as a theology book, but doesn’t actually do any systematic theological construction of an atonement theory.

I agree I’m his Pauline work, I think it’s one of the best representatives of the “New Perspective”. His work on the resurrection as brilliant, one of the best historical defenses of the resurrection that I’ve read, and how bad the attacks on the book have been re-enforce how good the book is.

Edgar Foster said...

I might review Evil and the Justice of God: just need the energy/inspiration to do it. We're now training for "asynchronous and synchronous learning" for the upcoming fall semester in college. That and some other things drain my energy, but we'll see.

The resurrection book is pretty good, but one issue I have with his argument is the transphysicality concept that he applies to Jesus and Wright's tendency to overlook some forms of early Judaic belief.

One thing I've been studying here lately is also "biblical theology," which is a notoriously difficult concept.

Roman said...

I agree, Wright doesn't seem to do justice to the full range of early Jewish belief, and he makes too sharp a distinction between Jewish thought and Hellenistic philosophy, I don't think one can really put those two in totally seperate camps, much of jewish thought was heavily influenced by Greek thought, and it was just as genuinely Jewish as anything else.

Biblical Theology is a difficult concept, there are some people who don't agree that there is such a thing. I think there is, but you can't really do it without doing regular systematic and constructive theology, and you're gonna have to do philosophical theology as well, unless of course you're just exegeting each individual writing historically and seeing what the author intended to communicate with regards to his theology, in this case you don't really have "biblical theology" as much as just exegesis. One example is Isaiah, Isaiah read AS Isaiah is going to give you a different theology than Isaiah read through the New Testament, so in order to construct a theology there you can't just do historical exegesis.

I look forward to hearing what your studies here result in :), or what your thoughts are.

Edgar Foster said...

I'm glad you remind me of different studies that touch on Jewish and Greek thought: you probably remember Martin Hengel's two-volume work about Judaism and Hellenism. Even if much of what he wrote needs an adjustment, the basic point stands, that Judaism and Hellenism exchanged ideas after the Babylonian Exile, and their cultures merged.

I will let you know what my current studies yield. I've been reading Barr and John Sailhamer, among others. You might also enjoy Brevard Childs.

Roman said...

I have read Martin Hengel, and I agree completely with his understadning, I think E.P. Sanders made good adjustements to his work, but his basic insights stand.

Thanks, I'll look up Brevard Childs :).

Edgar Foster said...

E.P. Sanders is another one of my favorites. For a summary of Childs' work, see https://www.sbl-site.org/publications/article.aspx?articleId=691