Monday, May 01, 2023

Words of the Month (May 2023)

1. Intransitive and transitive Verbs-Notice one explanation given for these verbs:

"Verbs are either intransitive or transitive. Intransitive verbs do not take a direct object. εἰμί I am is an intransitive verb. Transitive verbs take a direct object. ὁράω I see is a transitive verb. It takes a direct object. In the sentence, ὁράω αὐτόν I see him, αὐτόν is the direct object of the transitive verb ὁράω.

Some verbs can be intransitive or transitive depending upon their use in context. For example the English verb walk is intransitive in the sentence, I walk to the store. And it is transitive in the sentence I walk my dog to the store. Dog functions as the direct object of walk. Consider the verb smell. In the sentence, the flower smells good, the verb smell is intransitive and describes a quality of the flower’s aromatic existence. In the sentence I smell the sauteeing onions and garlic, the verb smell is transitive and represents an action that I perform."

See https://books.openbookpublishers.com/10.11647/obp.0264/ch9.xhtml

Compare http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0007:id=s920

2. ὑποτύπωσις (Greek)-a word translated as "example, pattern, sample, sketch, model, summary, outline." Louw-Nida goes with "example." This word occurs 2x in the NT at 1 Timothy 1:16; 2 Timothy 1:13 (both Pastoral occurrences). 

No comments: