Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Notes from Tim Weldon's Book About Duns Scotus (Pages 43-53)

When I used to lecture about John Duns Scotus by using Tim Weldon's book, I would use these notes. They seem fragmented, but I could follow them with ease (normally):

1) Scotus' argument for the existence of God (Pages 43-44)

a) essentially and accidentally-ordered causes (vertical represents hic et nunc, but horizontal signifies ad infinitum)

Triple primacy-efficient cause, final cause, and in preeminence. These three are coextensive.

2) Faith seeking understanding (page 44). "Fides quaerens intellectum."

3) Love and time-page 47 (Quid est tempus?)

What is love? (Quid est amor?)

4) Faculty of will (voluntas)

5) Plato and three parts of the soul (47-48)

Is it possible to have a rational will?

6) Contrast A. Schopenhauer-p. 49 of Weldon (blind striving)

Cf. F. Nietzsche-p. 50-51 (compare Scotus)

See pp. 52-3 of Weldon.

4 comments:

Roman said...

two questions

1. Is this the book you're referring to https://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Wisdom-Scotuss-Philosophy-Person/dp/1600475574?

2. What's your opinion on Scotus as a Theologian, especially when contrasted with Aquinas, and do you have any opinion on the univocity of being/analogy of being dispute?

Edgar Foster said...

1. Yes, that is the book; you might have seen my review posted on Amazon.

2. I love reading Aquinas even though I disagree with him in many respects, but he was obviously brilliant, and his arguments for God's existence are helpful although they may not be definitive. However, I would argue that the 5 ways were never meant to be conclusive proofs for God's existence. Besides the 5 ways, I like Aquinas' thoughts on evil. See his book, De Malo.

I commented on the univocity of being debate in another thread: I tend to favor Scotus' take; on the other hand, we have to allow room for analogy in theological language, but I think there is room for univocal language too. Thomas V. Morris has written about this subject.

While I disagree with Scotus on a number of theological issues, I don't think one can question his metaphysical prowess and ability to set forth complex arguments, including an argument for God's existence. He's a mensch in my book :)

Roman said...

I'm gonna get that book, I think I need to read more about Scotus, rather than get my info on him from people who are largely critical. Thanks for the book tip :).

Edgar Foster said...

I've heard that the latest version of Weldon's book is greatly improved. It's an introductory work; so that must be kept in mind. I once used it for a 100-level class, and the students found it fairly easy to understand. But you've inspired me to produce a brief Scotus bibliography. Look for it today. :)