Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Psalm 119:70--NWT 1984 vs. 2013, and Byington

I discussed this verse with a Bible study the other day; so I wanted to look deeper into the passage.

Psalm 119:70 (NWT 1984): "Their heart has become unfeeling just like fat. I, for my part, have been fond of your own law."

NWT 2013: "Their heart is insensitive, But I am fond of your law."

Byington Bible in Living English: "Their hearts are fatty as tallow; I take my pleasure in your instructions."

ESV: "their heart is unfeeling like fat, but I delight in your law."

NET Bible: "Their hearts are calloused, but I find delight in your law."

John Goldingay (Baker Commentary on the OT Wisdom and Psalms): "The line parallels and looks behind the assertion in v. 69a and contrasts the psalmist’s *heart or mind (v. 69b) and that of the *willful. It begins with another vivid word: this heart or mind is thick (ṭāpaš) with fat, as if encased with suet like the stomach, preventing the truth getting through to heart or mind, stopping it from understanding anything outside itself. The second colon restates the contrast, in collocating *delight and Yhwh’s *teaching."

EGF: This verse (Psalm 119:70) is speaking about the "presumptuous" or "willful" (Goldingay): they are relentlessly headstrong, according to Goldingay. One is reminded of 2 Timothy 3:4.

1 comment:

Duncan said...

Ps 119:67 nasb

Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word.

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/strongs_6031.htm