Saturday, October 16, 2021

Five Books I Tried to Read Over the Summer: Almost Done!

Okay, I didn't quite meet my goal, but I came close. Now I'm finishing one of them.

1. Hermann Gunkel. Elijah, Yahweh, and Baal. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2014.

To be honest, this is my least favorite book in the bunch. The work contains some insights from a notable form critic, but overall, I do not like his approach to the Elijah narratives.

2. Edward W Klink III, Darian R. Lockett. Understanding Biblical Theology: A Comparison of Theory and Practice. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Academic, 2012.

A good overview of different biblical-theological models. This book clarified the concept of biblical theology for me.

3. Panayotis Coutsoumpos. Paul and the Lord's Supper: A Socio-Historical Investigation. New York and Washington, D.C.: Peter Lang, 2005.

I enjoyed this book and it was informative; however, the work has numerous typos and they sometimes distract from the overall reading experience. The work also is a revised dissertation.

4.
V. Philips Long. The Art of Biblical History. Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation, Volume 5. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1994.

I love this book: if you're into studying how history as a discipline should be carried out, this is the book for you. One downside might be that some of the material could be dated.

5.
Tracy Lee Simmons. Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin. Open Road Media, 2014.

Very passionately written, but at times, inconsistent and tendentious. The book might come off elitist to most who read it, and may suffer from the current Zeitgeist in which multiculturalism and pluralism reign supreme. However, Simmons provides some interesting details about the development of the humanities in the West and the book tries to make a case for preserving and teaching Latin and Greek.

5 comments:

Duncan said...

Just ordered The Art of Biblical History.
Interested to see what it has to say.

Edgar Foster said...

I hope it doesn't disappoint you, but maybe the book will challenge some of your ideas. I got it pretty inexpensively, so whether good or bad, no big deal. But you know how subjective our tastes in books can be.

Duncan said...

I like to be challenged :)

Roman said...

I would really like to read number 3!!!

Edgar Foster said...

Duncan: Yes, I've noticed. And you like to challenge :-)

Roman: I larned from the book and it's interesting how sociology is applied throughout; I just wish the book would have gotten rid of some typos and awkward parts, but the research is good.