Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Proverbial Sayings in the Epistles of Paul?

I wrote these thoughts some years ago, but I've since found reason to believe that my question could be answered in the affirmative now. 

This may be an off the wall question, but I've often wondered if the apostle Paul used sayings that were rooted in Roman proverbs or common maxims. After all, we know that everyday proverbs from the ancient world are found in his writings (see 1 Corinthians 15:33; 1 Timothy 6:9-10), but when I read classical Latin, there are times when the language reminds me of Paul's letters. E.g., "me miseram" ("wretched woman that I am!"). Compare Romans 7:24 (Vulgate): "infelix ego homo" or "O frustra, inquit, mihi suscepti labores!" which can be translated "O that in vain, he said, my labors have been undertaken." Think of how Paul refers to "toiling in vain."

2 comments:

JLM said...

Would you like to Join a Jehovah's Witness Discord Server, an app where you only talk Jehovah Witnesses regarding theology and much more, Brother Foster? If so, let me know so I can send you an invite, it's app you can get on your phone or computer, I recommend you download it in your pc and phone, I'm not Promoting this app By the way. I am also one of Jehovah's witnesses, and the server is about apologetics overrall!

Edgar Foster said...

Hello my brother, I appreciate the invite, but time and circumstances do not permit me to do much these days. I've been blogging less and think about doing it even less. But that sounds like a good app and I appreciate what others are doing for Jehovah.