Sunday, November 05, 2023

The Latin Pluperfect Passive Indicative and the Latin Vulgate

Latin forms the pluperfect passive indicative by compounding the perfect passive participle with the imperfect tense of sum (the "to be" verb). Here are the principal parts of the verb, porto:

porto, portare, portavi, portatus ("carry").

Examples of the pluperfect passive indicative:

1) portatus eram ("I had been carried")-1st person singular
2) portati eramus ("We had been carried")-1st person plural

I've been looking for a scriptural example of the pluperfect passive indicative, and there may be one or more, but I've noticed that the Vulgate tends to translate Greek pluperfects with Latin participles or a form of the perfect. 

If you ever look into Latin pluperfects, it's good to know that some books call them, past perfects.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know there is one in one of the letters to the Corinthians (Im pretty sure) - saw it listed the other day. - It may be an error in my understadning, as it often is

Edgar Foster said...

Thanks, will check it out. I can find pluperfects in Greek, but the pluperfect passives in the Vulgate seem difficult to find